After recently being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I had to make some BIG changes to my diet. I decided to give a Keto based diet a whirl. When following Keto you can have strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, but apples are a BIG NO NO. They are high in natural sugars. The problem is I LOVE applesauce! I had to figure out a way to get it back in my life, so decided, WHY NOT give zucchini a whirl. They really do not have much taste, are high in fiber, naturally low carb, and with some spices it should work!
This did take a few trial and error experiments with lots of playing around to get it to taste right! Of course everyone has a different taste and texture preference when it comes to applesauce, so play around like I did! This recipe will help you get started designing your own custom profile!
🍎 Pin HERE for later!
- 10 c. Chopped Zucchini
- 1 Large Cinnamon Stick
- 1 large Lemon
- 1/4 c. Water
- 1/4 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 c. Sweetener Substitute (I prefer Swerve)
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
(1) Wash & peel the zucchini. Remove both ends & split the zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out the insides removing the seeds (like a zucchini boat)
(2) Small dice the zucchini & add to crock pot. Sprinkle salt over zucchini
(3) Zest the lemon – look for appx. 2 tsp. of zest
(4) After zesting, slice & juice the lemon into crock pot over zucchini. Be careful to not add any seeds!
(5) Add water, apple cider vinegar, lemon zest, and cinnamon stick (or even two). I also throw both halves of lemon in to give it a more intense lemon flavor, this is optional.
(5) GENTLY stir your zucchini to mix up and coat everything. Set crock pot to low and let it cook for 4 hours. Stir every hour or so.
(7) After 4 hours a good amount of liquid will be in the bottom from the zucchini sweating out. Spoon or drain off as much as possible before the next step. (Careful, IT WILL BE HOT)
(8) Turn off crock pot, leave top off and allow zucchini cool. Remove the lemons and cinnamon stick.
(9) Use a food processor or masher on about half of the zucchini. (more or less depending on how “chunky” you want it.) ONLY use “pulse” on the food processor or it will end up WAY to smooth. A stick immersion blender would work also. Add back to crock pot and turn back on
(10) Add sweetener, cinnamon, and nutmeg and gently stir to mix all spices well.
(11) Cook on low again for another 4 hours stirring often.
(12) After 4 hours, taste and adjust any spices. I added a little more cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon) and let it cook for another hour on low. This way you can also test the texture. If you want the chunks of zucchini mushier, cook for longer.
- Eat it warm or refrigerate first. I preferred it chilled, but it will all be by taste preference!