I LOVE anything and everything lemon. ESPECIALLY poppy seed bread! This yummy bread pairs almond extract with tart lemon juice for a moist, tender bread. Topped with a tangy glaze, this bread will be come a favorite breakfast treat for your family!
Pin HERE for later!
What you need:
- 2-3 lemons
- Zest from lemons
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 T. butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 t. almond extract
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. lemon juice
- 1/2 vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 T. poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 t. almond extract
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Zest the lemons and add to mixing bowl
- Juice lemons to make 1/3 c. PLUS additional 2 T. for glaze (later)
- Mix lemon juice, zest, eggs, sugar, butter, oil, vanilla, and almond together
- In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- Carefully mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over mix!
- You can use 1 loaf pan or a 12 count muffin tin. Butter the baking pan or muffin tins. I used a 12 count mini bundt pan.
- If making muffin size: Bake for 15-20 minutes until just browned and a toothpick comes out clean
- If making loaf size: Bake 40-50 minutes until just browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest in pan for 10 minutes. Invert from pan onto a cooling rack.
- Prepare glaze: Mix powdered sugar, almond extract and lemon juice until smooth.
- While cakes are still warm, poke holes all over the top with a toothpick.
- Pour glaze over and allow to soak into bread
- Allow to cool
More tasty breakfast treats: