Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole
Scrolling Facebook the other day I saw a video for a dish similar to this. I read the recipe and wasn’t sure the ratios and ingredients seemed quite right. So rather than making something I wasn’t sure would turn right, I combined a few recipes I have tried before and made this rich and hearty breakfast dish. Sure to please kids and adults alike its perfect as breakfast as it’s own or a welcome addition to your next potluck or brunch!
What you need:
- 8 oz (or small loaf) of french bread, cut into small cubes
- 6 eggs
- 3 c. milk
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
For optional topping after baked:
- 1 c. blueberries
- 1 c. + 2 T. water
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. corn starch
- Butter or spray a deep casserole or 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- Layer HALF the bread cubes in dish.
- Top with 2 c. blueberries. Dollop the cream cheese mixture over the blueberries. This is rustic – just scoop all over – it doesn’t matter. More bread goes on top so neatness and exact ratios are not required!
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Beat eggs, milk, vanilla and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake for 45 minutes uncovered until golden brown and set.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Bring to a boil 1 c. water, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix corn starch with remaining 2 T. of water. Stir to dissolve. Add to boiling water mixture whisking constantly until thick.
- Stir in blueberries. Using a potato masher or the back of the spoon crush the berries to make a thick sauce.
More Breakfast Ideas: