Do you miss the YUMMY Taco Bell Chilito of the 90’s? NOT ANYMORE… you can now make them at home, and take my word, this recipe is SPOT on!
📍 Pin for later HERE
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 to 4 tbsp chili powder – If a GOOD brand, you will only need 3
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper – Use more if you like more heat, but this amount was perfect for us
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 lbs mild shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 flour tortillas
- Clean and chop onion
- In skillet on medium, brown the hamburger and chopped onion until no pink shows and crumbled well. Drain grease.
- Add salt, pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Add 2 cups water and stir around until all seasonings are dissolved.
- In small bowl, combine 2 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water, add to skillet.
- Add Tomato Paste and Refried Beans and stir well until a smooth consistency.
- Set aside about a half a pound of the shredded cheese for making your burritos, and SLOWLY add the other pound of shredded cheese to the skillet. Be sure to stir often it so it melts.
- Once the cheese has ENTIRELY melted, turn your heat down to low, and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes to get GOOD AND HOT! Stir often though, do not burn the bottom of the skillet.
- Now my favorite part! Grab a microwave safe plate and your pack of flour tortillas. QUICKLY rinse each one under water (DO NOT water log them) and stack them on your plate together. Now heat them for about one minute to “Steam” . DO NOT SKIP this step, it makes all the difference.
- Now lets make this DELICIOUS burrito! Spoon about 4 Tbsp. of the chili mixture into the middle of a flour tortilla, sprinkle on some of the shredded cheese that was reserved, and roll them up. ENJOY!