If ONE meal stands out from my childhood THIS IS IT. Something so simple and containing just 3 straight forward, common ingredients it comes together in a snap instantly taking me back to family dinner around the table! The burgers steam in the soup and get a rich, juicy flavor like you cooked it all day. Serve with mashed potatoes and you have a complete meal heavy on comfort but light on effort!
📍 Pin HERE for later!
What you need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans Campbell’s Vegetable Soup with ABC pasta (not the barley one; I use the Vegetarian one)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Form ground beef into 3 or 4 patties (1/3 pound or 1/4 pound – however you prefer)
- Salt & Pepper both sides
- Preheat on medium heat a deep sided skillet
- Sear both sides thoroughly, about 4-5 minutes each side, until deeply browned
- Drain off most of the grease
- Cover the top of each burger patty with the soup – straight out of the can
- Add all the remaining soup to the skillet and about 1/2 can of water
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered for about 20 minutes or until burger has reached desired done-ness. Depending on the thickness; time will vary. I cook mine to a medium well – just a tiny bit pink but hot all the way through.
- Top with shredded cheese and cover for 3 more minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and spoon extra soup from the pan on top.