Autumn has arrived and it’s time to enjoy those delicious, fresh apples! But, the worst thing is when you cut an apple and it browns right away. Here are a couple really simple ways to keep your apples from browning:
- Lemon juice. You can use either freshly squeezed or lemon juice. You can add the lemon juice right to the cut side of the apple simply tossing them in a bowl with a little bit of the lemon juice. This method will give your apple a slightly lemon taste. Rinse after you are done with the lemon juice.
- Carbonated drinks. You can drop your apples in a bowl of your chosen carbonated drink for around 5 minutes, but no loner. After that is finished, go ahead and drain the apples and rinse with cool water.
- Plastic wrap. How incredibly simple! This method just keeps the air away from the apple, preventing it from browning. Wrap the plastic wrap as tight as possible to keep it fresh for much longer!
- Choose Wisely! Did you know that certain types of apples brown faster than others? If you’re planning a certain dessert or would like them cut up and have them out for awhile, remember that Granny Smith brown the least and Red Delicious browned the fastest!
- Smart Storage! The best way to store your cut apples is to place them directly in a sealed bag and ensure that all of the air is out of the bag before you close it and set them in your refrigerator until ready to serve!