Holiday Toffee Candy
- — Plain or Butter Flavored Crackers (Saltines, Ritz, Keebler Club Crackers — any of them will work)
- — 1 cup butter (salted or unsalted, your choice)
- — 1 cup packed brown sugar
- — 6 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- — 2-1/2 cups chocolate chips of your choice (milk, semisweet or white)
- — Assorted candies, chopped nuts or holiday sprinkles for decorating (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a large cookie sheet WELL with nonstick spray and line cookie tray with crackers, breaking some into pieces to fit any small gaps.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Once at a boil, let it continue to boil, without stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spread mixture over crackers (it will be a little thick and slightly hard to spread).
- Place tray in oven and bake for 5 minutes. While crackers are baking, melt peanut butter on the stove top over medium-low heat in a large saucepan.
- Once mostly melted, add chocolate chips and continue to melt mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Remove tray from oven and spread chocolate over cracker/toffee layer.
- Top with candies, nuts or sprinkles as you like.
- Refrigerate or freeze tray for 1-2 hours until candy has completely chilled through.
- Cut or break chilled candy into whatever size pieces you like. Store candy in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to plate and serve.
**NOTES: This recipe can also be made with crushed pretzels or layered pretzel thins, but the toffee is much harder to spread over the pretzels. Also, if you desire a thinner chocolate layer, the chocolate chips can be reduced by about a cup and the peanut butter reduced by 2 tbsp.***