Dog Tip: Ginger Snaps as a Treat! The Benefits
Do you love Ginger Snaps? Guess what…Your furry friend probably does also! Ginger Snaps are a GREAT Daily Treat for your dog. Most “Picky eaters” like Gingers snaps, and the added benefit, Ginger is beneficial to them!
Ginger is GREAT for car sickness, helps with diarrhea, & soothes their stomach. Ginger also is reported to help with inflamed tissues and muscles.
Our dog gets one Ginger Snap Cookie a day. Everyday I break one into four, and the four times he goes out, he gets a piece.
HE LOVES THEM!
I learned this GREAT tip from my Vet on our Dogs last visit. Usually he is VERY picky and will not take a treat, these he gobbled right up to my surprise, so of course I asked what type of treat it was. His assistant said to grab a bag at the dollar store during our next trip and he has been enjoying them ever since!
If you have the time, you could even make your own healthy option at home for them! (Recipe Below)
Keep in mind, SUGAR is not good for them or for their teeth, SO PLEASE make sure you limit the amount you give them daily. In most cases, a few a day is fine, but of course, with anything you will be feeding your furry friend, check with your vet FIRST!
Dog Ginger Treat Recipe
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until combined.
- In a small bowl, using a sturdy spoon, stir together the molasses, water and canola oil.
- Pour the molasses mixture into the flour.
- Using the same sturdy spoon, stir ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use your favorite dog cookie cutters to cut shapes.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place your cut outs on the baking sheet.
- Continue to roll and cut out shapes with the remaining dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.